As someone who went through fertility treatments and did acupuncture for fertility with my wife in NYC, I can personally empathize with the physical, emotional and mental challenges you are experiencing in your journey to have children. This is the main reason why I have and continue to specialize in acupuncture for infertility on a daily basis. I feel my successful personal and professional experience over the last ten years has made me uniquely qualified to help you. I get great satisfaction in helping my patients succeed in their quest to having their own family.
I love when my patients send me pictures of their newborns because I know the challenges they went through, and that I was given their trust during one of the most sensitive times in their life.
When patients ask me to tell them “my story” one of the questions I usually get asked is if I did fertility acupuncture treatment on my wife when she was undergoing her cycle. My answer to that is absolutely yes and also during her first trimester for pregnancy support. Since fertility acupuncture treatment has a cumulative effect, I started treatment on her several weeks in advance to prep her body for maximum follicular growth and increase blood flow to the uterine wall for implantation to maximize our cycles.
Once your pregnancy is confirmed via a beta test, my protocol is to maintain acupuncture for fertility treatment through the first trimester to support pregnancy, minimize nausea and constipation and improve circulation in the legs. Is it safe to do during pregnancy? Yes. Look no further than the study that the National Institute of Health (N.I.H.) conducted for the treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy.
My Personal Story
How acupuncture can increase your chances to get pregnant with your IVF/ IUI cycle or naturally.
- Acupuncture helps to improve ovarian function by increasing blood flow to that region of the body. This may allow for the development of better quality eggs and strong, healthy embryos.
- Acupuncture increases blood flow to the uterus. Studies indicate that increased blood flow to the uterus can help to promote follicular development and encourage implantation of the embryo.
- Acupuncture can help support the ovaries during your IVF or IUI cycle to respond more efficiently to the hyper-stimulating drugs thereby allowing for the production of more follicles.
- Acupuncture can help to balance out an “over-active” immune system when high NK cells is a potential issue.
- There are high levels of physical and mental stress associated with trying to get pregnant. Acupuncture is very effective in reducing stress levels that could be hindering your ability to get pregnant. A recent study published in Human Reproduction (2014) from the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center found that long-term stress may reduce a woman’s ability to conceive by as much as 29 percent. To measure chronic stress levels, researchers took saliva samples from the women at the beginning of the study and after the women’s first menstrual cycles. For each woman, they recorded levels of the biomarker salivary alpha-amylase, which measures the body’s sympathetic adreno-medullary pathway, also known as the “fight or “flight” response. Researchers found that women with the highest levels of salivary alpha-amylase had a 29% reduction in their ability to conceive and more than two-fold greater risk of infertility, compared to women with the lowest levels.
- Acupuncture can help treat the root cause of female infertility and many other gynecological conditions that contribute to infertility such as unexplained infertility, poor quality eggs, irregular menses, endometriosis and PCOS. For men, acupuncture has been shown in medical studies to specifically help improve morphology and motility. According to several studies, one of which was published in the July, 2006 issue of Fertility and Sterility, the treatment of idiopathic male infertility can benefit from acupuncture treatment, specifically in the areas of morphology and motility. Since there are few Western medical treatment choices for male infertility, acupuncture can be a safe, drug-free and non-invasive method to promote combined fertility for a couple.
Michael is a vital adjunct to the assisted reproductive techniques that I do.
“I have had the pleasure of knowing Michael on a personal and professional basis for the last twelve years, and I can tell you in all honesty that I have never met a gentleman with more integrity and compassion. Consistent with his driven personality, he rapidly became quite simply one of the best practitioners of Eastern Medicine in New York. I have seen what beneficial effects his skills can exert on both fertility and other illnesses, and he is a vital adjunct to the assisted reproductive techniques that I do. I am very proud to call him both a friend and colleague.”
*MAHM is also the official acupuncture infertility NYC center and herbal medicine clinic for the Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine in NY and a professional member of both the American Pregnancy Association and RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association.